Friday, August 23, 2013

Dinner time: Poblano-Shrimp Enchiladas and a Marinated Veggie Salad

My dad was by far the biggest fan of Mexican food I have ever met.  He liked it all...and the spicier it was the better.  I, however, am a complete wimp when it comes to spicy.  I think that it has its place but I don't get excited for "blow the top of your head off" level of hot!

Tonight I made poblano-shrimp enchiladas and a marinated veggie salad, and I would like to think that even without the intense heat my dad favored, he would have asked for seconds on this.  Oh and the best part...it was only 450 calories for the ENTIRE PLATE!! 

I will say this…If I had lacked the proper motivation to cook; I more than likely would have gone through the Wendy’s drive thru.  I would have probably ordered a pretzel burger, large fry, and strawberry lemonade from Wendy’s for 1610 calories in a single meal.  That is a 1160 calorie difference between the two meals!!  It blows my mind how easily if would have been to wreck my diet for the day with a single visit to a fast food joint!

Now on to the recipes!

*the photos look anemic due to my lack of planning and the storm that kept me from photographing outside.  Don't let it scare you away from trying this yummy meal at home!!* 



Poblano-Shrimp Enchiladas

3/4 pound unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp 
1 tablespoon olive oil
Cooking spray
1 large poblano pepper, halved and seeded
1 large onion, chopped 
1 tomato, chopped 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream 
8 corn tortillas
1 (10-ounce) can green enchilada sauce
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired. Coarsely chop shrimp, and set aside.

Spray an 11- x- 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

Sauté the pepper in the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until skin looks blistered. Remove from skillet, and chop.

Return the chopped pepper to skillet. Add the onion and next the 5 ingredients – sautéing 4 s the chopped shrimp and sauté 1 minute; remove from heat, and cool 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream.

Heat the tortillas according to package directions. Spoon the shrimp mixture evenly down center of each tortilla and roll up. Arrange, seam side down, in prepared pan. Top with sauce, and sprinkle with cheese.

Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated.


 

Marinated Vegetable Salad

1 cup diced tomatoes 
1 cup diced zucchini 
1 cup diced mango
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoons minced jalapeños
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup bottled salsa 
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.

Combine salsa, juice, and oil, stirring with a whisk. Pour dressing over tomato mixture

Cover and chill 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment