Thursday, September 5, 2013

Bad Habits Can Suck It!

You know, you grow up learning how to do things a certain way.  You watch those that you live with, learning how they doing things and you mimic them.  Those habits then become who you are when you finally leave the nest and live on your own. 

Now, some of those habits are wonderful…helpful even.  I can thank my mom for teaching me to always rinse my plates/bowls out when they are put in the sink (don’t faint, mom! It’s shocking that it sunk in…I know!) . My Aunt gave me the habit of ALWAYS hanging the bath mat over the edge of the tub when you are done showering.  See these habits are helpful, and let me look like less of a slob. 


Some habits…well, some habits suck!  They are the type of habits that ruin your health, your self-esteem, and your confidence. I refuse to lay blame with my upbringing for these types of issues.  Yes, I did learn a lot of them growing up, but now that I’m an adult I take full responsibility.  Being master of my own destiny and all that…I can’t say I’m in charge of who I am to be if I keep looking back to blame people from my past.

To be honest, I really felt like I had a handle on my bad habits.  I had not eaten anything from a drive-thru or a gas station.  I made sure that the only thing to pass my lips past 7 pm was water.  I didn't make a single joke about myself to make others laugh.  I didn't make any excuses to get out of exercising.  I have been well behaved and a different person lately…that was until Tuesday.


On Tuesday I drove up to Glacier for some time with my camera.  Like I have done in the past, I stopped at the gas station on the way out of town to fill up the gas tank.  I swear that was all I was going to do, but BAM next thing I know I've gone in the store and bought all sorts of junk food for the trip.  The old me used to do this all the time.  She would go and buy a bag of chips, a couple of candy bars, and a few bottles of water. But the new me is different.  I didn't even realize what I had done until I was in the car and 10 miles down the road!

At first, I was disappointed in myself and in the fact that I was doing something the old me would do.  I must have looked like a loon talking to myself…swearing that I would take them to Steven’s work so I wasn't tempted.  HA! I should have known better. What I should have done is stop and thrown it all away (except the water…we all need our water!).  Well, half way up Glacier I was stuck in construction and got bored.  Yep! I broke open the chips.


See, my BIGGEST bad habit is eating when I’m not hungry…just bored.  It’s such a simple thing but so damn hard to break myself of.  At home, I have been doing really well with avoiding the “I’m bored so let’s see what there is to munch on” feeling, but in that car I wasn’t able to face down the temptation. 

The good news is that I didn't give in to my second bad habit of making myself feel guilty.  In the past I would have let the fact that I ate when I was bored get to me.  I would put myself down, which would leave me feeling like “I am never going to lose any weight because I can’t make it a single day without screwing up!!”  Feeling like this would cause emotional eating, my third bad habit!   


Do you see where I’m going with this?  One bad habit would lead to another and another and another!  In the end I would be left feeling sick from over-eating, sad for how I was seeing myself, and feeling that there was no hope that anything would ever change. 

Yes, I stumbled and I could have done better BUT I looked at it for what it was…a mistake.  In that moment I realized that I’m going to slip up occasionally and that I need to learn from it and move on.  Realizing and accepting that it was a one-time mistake kept me from putting myself down, feeling bad, and comforting with food.  One bad habit resurfaced but THAT WAS ALL!



So now I know that I need to be uber-aware of my actions when I’m doing something familiar.  I can’t rely on auto-pilot and expect a different outcome until I have changed my habits for the better.


3 comments:

  1. I just try to think how I will feel after I do it and can I afford to do it. It takes a lot longer to lose weight than it does to gain weight...I've learned that the hard way. We can all make mistakes and in the long run, it probably didn't do much to your weight loss effort, if anything maybe it shocked your body and so you may even lose more weight. I just try to not let it become a habit again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat. Get yourself some gum for in the car. when you're bored chew ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tell my self that I will just buy this bag of chip and eat a little bit at a time or I will buy this snack at Costco and I will just eat it as a treat once in a while. I get it home and it stays unopened for a day or so then I open it with the intention of "just a bit". Next thing I know its half way gone! I put it away and tell myself well you blew it! Then I try to bloster myself up and say, at least you didn't eat it all..you used to! Only thing is: I KNOW I CANT BRING IT INTO MY HOUSE! I have found the only way I can really keep from blowing it with this stuff is to go to the store and get one ice cream or one serving size bag of chips and enjoy it there and let it go. If I bring it home I go on a crazy mental cycle of , I will eat it all and start my diet tomorrow. I feel like I have to get rid of it and so I eat and eat and eat till that offensive junk is gone...and then I get mad! Mad because I am like you, good at lots of stuff, EXCEPT this stinking food addiction....I feel helpless at times ...but I know that is a lie. I will overcome this too, I have the Lord Who has help me with everything in my life....I know with His help I will overcome this too! Thank you Jesus. .....but ITS STILL HARD! did I say STINKING? well it is!!!

    ReplyDelete